Building & Construction
Builder’s Guide – Below is information to help guide customers through the building permitting process.
If you are not sure if you need a building permit, please view our permits required list for commercial or residential projects.
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm. Inspections are available, with a minimum 24-hour notice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Due to the high number of inspections, please be advised your preferred inspection dates may not be available. Please call our office at 847-673-7402 as soon as possible to schedule your inspections.
All plans submitted for review will be completed within ten business days after zoning approval, revisions of an existing permit will also be reviewed within ten business days*. Over the Counter/Express Permits and Quick Turnaround permits will be reviewed quicker, as indicated below*. Plans submitted for re-review are subject to additional charges. Please see below for specific building plan submittal requirements, if you have additional questions you can reach the Community Development Department at 847-673-7402 or you can email us at email@example.com. To view local amendments to each of the adopted codes, please visit Chapter 14 of the Village Code.
Applications can be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, however, we may require a physical set of plans depending on the application request. Staff will follow up once an application has been reviewed.
*Please note that even if all plan reviews are approved an application, a permit will not be issued until all supplemental documentation and all required contractors have been registered with the Village.
For quickest response time, please email email@example.com.
Building Permit Application - please view handouts listed below for information regarding required supplemental documents that may be needed based on your specific project.
Building Permit Applications, Handouts, Forms, Worksheets, & Samples
- Over the Counter* Permit Handouts & Forms
- Quick Turnaround (48 Hours*) Permit Handouts & Forms
- Standard (7-10 business days*) Permit Handouts and Forms
- Applications, Forms, & General Information
- Contractor Licensing and Requirements
- Fire Department Applications
- Zoning Calculations Worksheets
- Zoning Public Hearing Applications
- Utility Engineering Guidelines & Permit Application
*Applications in this section are reviewed over the counter but additional time may be needed to process and issue permit.
*48 hours turnaround time is in reference to the plan review only. Additional time may be needed for permit to be issued.
*7-10 business day turn around time is in reference to plan review only. Additional time may be needed for permit to be issued.
- Building Permit Application
- Addition Residential Handout
- Basement Remodel Handout
- Board-Up Handout
- Building or Structure Demolition Handout Form
- Detached Garage Handout
- Electrical Panel Schedule
- Fireplace and Chimney Repair Handout
- Generator Handout
- Interior Demolition (only) Handout and Form
- Kitchen Electrical Layout
- Kitchen or Bath Remodel Handout
- Sign Handout Form
- Solar Panel Handout
- Swimming Pool Spa or Hot Tub Handout
- Tree Removal Handout Form
- Building Permit Application
- Adopted Building Codes
- Alternative Materials Design and Methods Request Form
- Amendment Request Form
- Building Permit Extension Request Form
- Cold Weather Concrete
- Combustion Air Calculation Form
- Cook County Asbestos Abatement Permit Information
- Deposit Refund Authorization Form
- Utility Location
- Public Hearing Application - Development Review Team Application
- Public Hearing Application - Map Amendment
- Public Hearing Application - Reasonable Accommodation
- Public Hearing Application - Special Use and PUD
- Public Hearing Application - Subdivision and Consolidation
- Public Hearing Application - Text Amendment
- Public Hearing Application - Variations