Street Storage Program
- Location: Map (PDF)
- Start of Construction: October 28, 2016
- Estimated Completion of Construction: November 23, 2016
- Contractor: Chicagoland Paving
- Project Description: Since 2007, Village staff has managed a program to produce a comprehensive Stormwater Management Plan (SMP), with the goal of developing an engineering recommendation for the Village’s stormwater system to protect basements from back-ups for storms up to the 10-year level of severity. The Village’s Ad Hoc Sewer Committee has recommended that the Village move forward with implementing on-street surface storage utilizing submerged restrictors and on-street berms. In order to evaluate the efficacy of the street storage program, a pilot project will be constructed in the area identified by the map linked above.
The goal of the project is to take full advantage of the street and inlet system for stormwater control as an alternative to installing expensive underground facilities such as complex configurations of storage vaults with flow regulators or additional pipes for increased storm drainage capacity. The street storage program is intended to detain water within the public right-of-way, including the street, and in some locations, the parkway. In addition, the project will include the installation of submerged restrictors within the catch basins to limit the flow of water into the existing sewer system, thereby reducing the possibility of basement backups. The system is designed to have the streets cleared of stormwater within two hours after the completion of a rain event that is identified as a 10-year level of severity. During lower intensity storms the streets would be clear in less than two hours.
- Estimated Construction Cost: $439,000
- Funding Source: Revenue from sewer fees collected on quarterly water bills.
- Project Updates: Update December 5, 2016: The contractor has now completed all of the major work associated with this project and only minor punch list items remain. This project is now substantially complete.
- Update November 16, 2016: The contractor has completed many of the roadway berms and has been actively working to perform work underground, including installation of new manholes and catch basins and the submerged restrictors.
- Update October 27, 2016: The contractor is scheduled to begin work on October 28. The first phase of the project will be to install driveway berms. The properties that will be impacted received a hand-delivered notice earlier this week.
- Update October 7, 2016: The Village Board has awarded a contract to Chicagoland Paving for the construction of the stormwater pilot project. A notification letter (PDF) and FAQ fact sheet (PDF) were mailed to all of the properties within the project area. It is anticipated that construction will start within the next two weeks.
- Update April 1, 2016: The Village’s engineering firm, Christopher B. Burke Engineering Ltd. (CBBEL), is working to complete the design of the improvements.