What is Neighborhood Watch?
Neighborhood Watch is a program designed to increase the safety and sense of community in neighborhoods by organizing and involving individuals and families in a united crime prevention effort.
- Communicate regularly with their neighbors
- Recognize and report suspicious and criminal activity
- Increase home and vehicle security
- Increase personal safety of residents
- Make neighborhoods less attractive to criminals
How is a Neighborhood Watch Group formed?
- Assess neighborhood needs
- Arrange a neighborhood kickoff meeting
- Select a leader(s) or block captain(s)
- Provide a list of participating residents to the Crime Prevention Specialist
- Contact Sergeant David Kramarz at firstname.lastname@example.org once you have established a list of participates
- Once a list is received and your group is organized, Crime Prevention will have Neighborhood Watch signs installed if the group agrees. Crime Prevention will also provide crime prevention information and window decals to block captain(s) to distribute
Other Crime Prevention Options:
- Encourage neighbors to watch out for each other and inform the police immediately of any suspicious activity. Residents know best what is unusual in their neighborhood
- Consider having an annual Neighborhood Watch meeting and invite police personnel