Select Page

Valley Line Trail – Recreation Path Project

Location: ComEd corridor between Devon Avenue and Jarvis Avenue – MAP

Start of Construction: Week of July 18, 2016

Estimated Completion of Construction: October, 2016

Contractor: Chicagoland Paving Contractors, Inc. of Lake Zurich, Illinois

Project Description: The recreation path will provide connectivity for bicyclists and pedestrians between already existing paths in Chicago and Skokie. The asphalt path will be 12 feet wide with a 2 foot gravel shoulder on each side. The path will be constructed on land that has been leased from Commonwealth Edison, which was previously railroad right of way.

Construction of an overpass over Touhy Avenue is currently scheduled for 2017.

Construction Cost: $1,039,908

Funding Source: The Village has received a federally funded Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality grant, which pays for 80% of the construction cost; the remaining 20% of the construction costs is being paid for with Village funds.

Project Updates: Update (October 17, 2016) – On Saturday, a ribbon cutting ceremony was held to officially mark the opening of the Valley Line Trail. There are two items that still need to be completed, the installation of the emergency call boxes along the path and the installation of an ornamental fence in the median at the Devon Avenue crossing. It is expected that these to items will be completed by the end of October.

Update (September 30, 2016) – The contractor has completed the installation of the push button activated flashing pedestrian signs at the Pratt and Devon Avenue crossings. To increase safety when crossing at these streets, users of the path should simply press the button on the pole and a flashing light will warn oncoming motorists that they are in the intersection. The remaining items to still be completed include the installation of the emergency call boxes and fencing at Devon and Touhy Avenues.

Update (September 9, 2016) – Chicagoland Paving has completed the installation of the asphalt path throughout the entire project site. They are now working on completing the installation of pavement markings, traffic safety devices, and the emergency call boxes.

Update (August 22, 2016) – Chicagoland Paving has worked to install nearly all of the first layer of asphalt throughout the entire project site. The contractor has also replaced the existing curb at the crossings with Pratt and Devon Avenues with a depressed concrete curb to make it accessible for bicycles.

Update (August 8, 2016) – Chicagoland Paving has begun to install the stone base of the multi-use recreation path and will soon follow with two layers of asphalt. The photo below shows the stone as it was laid near the northern project limit at Lincoln Avenue. The area remains an active construction site, so it is recommended that the public avoid use of the path until it is fully complete.

Valley Line Trail Stone Base

Update (August 1, 2016) – Construction of the multi-use path is well under way. Chicagoland Paving has been working to excavate the top eight inches of the existing grade to prepare for the installation of pavement. Work last week focused on the area between Touhy and Pratt Avenues and will move south of Pratt this week.

Update (July 25, 2016) – Construction of the path officially began last week with Chicagoland paving beginning excavation north of Touhy Avenue. The contractor is planning to work south and will begin work south of Touhy Avenue next week.

Update (April 1, 2016) – The Village’s contractor, Chicagoland Paving Contractors, has staked the project limits and conducted a survey in preparation for construction. A letter has been hand delivered to the residents adjacent to the ComEd right-of-way.


Village of Lincolnwood
Translate »